1
3
3
3

Wheeler Gate

  • client
  • Glendine Properties
  • contract value
  • to be determined
  • date
  • 2020
  • sector
  • Mixed Use
  • location
  • Nottingham
  • contact
  • Jamie Brown

Two listed buildings, Cavendish House and Premier House, are conjoined and situated on Wheeler Gate in the centre of Nottingham. They hold a prominent position along the majority of Wheeler Gate just off the city’s historic Old Market Square. They are characteristic examples of Nottingham’s late Victorian / early Edwardian architecture, both designed by local architect John Howitt.

The Cavendish building was built in 1894 with the Premier House building being built slightly later in 1900. Both buildings were listed as Grade II in 1995.

The ground floor retail units had of late become somewhat tired, with vacant units and some poorly maintained shopfronts. The upper floor offices had fallen victim to the decline in demand for cellular office space, which given the listed status of the building is less than ideal for creating modern, open plan, flexible office space.

Rayner Davies were asked to look at options for conversion to the upper floors and improvements to the retail space. Working closely with Nottingham City Council and Historic England a Heritage Action Zone grant was awarded to assist with the cost of re-instating traditional timber shopfronts. Planning permission was received to convert the upper floors to 23 apartments.

The shop frontages are constructed primarily in timber with large expenses of glazing, high level signage and recessed entrances as originally designed. Entrance areas are timber clad with decorative tiles at the threshold. Each recess is lit by a decorative pendant light. The timber door details match that of the original drawings and use the original door head detail remaining on one original shopfront. Stall risers are of timber construction with black granite to match the pedestals at low level. The original awnings are also reinstated